Church of God
The church with open arms...
A new Pentecostal church began in Fayetteville in 1935 on Adams Street in the home of Rev. W. I. Bass. Many had a vision and desire for this new work including some from Hope Mills. In 1936, a church was built on Cool Spring Street but had to be relinquished due to financial issues. The owner of a local lumber company gave the church enough lumber and materials to build a small tabernacle on School Street. After struggling for some time, the group disbanded and there was not a Church of God in Fayetteville.
A young minister, Rev. H. B. Turlington had a vision in which he saw a group of people wandering without a shepherd. He felt led of God to come to Fayetteville to begin a new work. At times he had to walk from Hope Mills but with his burden for the people, he began a prayer meeting with 2 members in the home of John Thames on Cedar Creek Road. As God poured out his blessings, it was just a short time and there were 8 members. The small group was able to rent the Dooley Tabernacle on Russell Street and Eastern Blvd. (Old Hwy. 301) and struggled for over six years. With tears and prayers, the work continued. One of the charter members, Irene Bishop, related how the Ladies Willing Workers along with many who were not members helped the church raise funds by selling dinners. God really blessed with profits of $400 to $600 according to Sis. Bishop.
Rev. H. B. Turlington, John Thames, and E. B. Bishop drove down the first stakes for a new block building on the corner of C & Adams Street in late 1940 and in March, 1941, the group of believers had their own building, though work remained to be completed. Praising God, the members and friends marched over to C & Adams Street Church of God. It was stated, " we were so proud, we had no money, just faith, so our group began cooking and selling meals." Singings were held every Sunday evening at the new church with offerings used to contnue the work and complete the building.
After Rev. Turlington, Rev. D. H. Delk became the pastor overseeing the construction of a parsonage next to the church. Progress continued and with the tenure of Rev. J. H. Daniels, an education addition was built along with the beginnings of a fellowship hall. Many great members, friends of the church, and business men supported the work. No doubt many of those were so touched by the dedication of the small group of believers that they also became Christians. The fellowship hall was a work in progress and some gave a weeks salary each month while others gave liberally of their means and labor in support of the work.
In 1966, Rev. W. C. Loftis began a tenure as pastor. His vision for the C & Adams Church of God took the church to a new level. The old block building was torn down and a new building was constructed which stands today known as the Loftis Center. A short time later, more rooms were added to the educational area for Sunday School, the fellowship hall was enlarged, and a new parsonage built which houses the church offices today. In 1988, during the tenure of Rev. Paul Kennedy, the sanctuary underwent a complete remodel. In 1997, Rev. Donnie Anderson became pastor and during his tenure, the Family Life Center was built and the Fayetteville Central Christian Academy began. With the arrival of Rev. Kenneth R. Boyd as pastor in 2004, the church continued to make great advances in property acquisition and neighborhood improvements. Orginally chartered as C & Adams Church of God and known for more than 60 years by that name, in 2007 the name was changed to Praise Fellowship Church of God. The thought was to accent action as this is characteristic of a thriving and growing congregation. Praise extends "Upward" and Fellowship extends "Outward."